Interaction

Our group chose the topic of Web design and I have used the following video to respond to the blog post.

In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

I believe that learners watching this video may take notes or explicitly think about how a professional web design process occurs in it’s different stages. Learners may take notes for each step in the process of designing a website for clients, and may have their own ideas and experience that can be applied to each step.

What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

After watching this video, I believe students may have a basic understanding of what steps are required when designing a website for a client. For an activity, I would suggest the students form groups and create a short presentation to illicit requirements and needs from other groups. Interacting with other groups and playing both client and developer roles allows the student to experience both sides of the relationship. Acting as the client role may help the developer role inquire more accurate requirements, while acting as the client may help the developer role provide unambiguous needs. This activity would require the use of PowerPoint for the presentation, and a meeting between the developers and the clients to exchange information.

How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

To give feedback on this activity, I would suggest splitting the feedback into two sections: peer review by the clients, and marking by an instructor. Peer review by the clients will allow the clients to review the information the developers took from their meeting and ensure that their needs and requirements were correctly identified and documented. The marking from an instructor is based on if the information that is documented is realistically possible and if the information is properly collected. The medium for peer review would be a document from the clients to ensure that all their needs were met. The medium for the instructor feedback would be comments on the presentation and if the information that is gathered is plausible.

How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

I believe that the work for this activity would be dependent on how many students are participating in this activity. In a class with around ten groups, this activity is possible, because every group can be unique and would not require too much coordination between groups. However, in a class where there are hundreds of groups, I believe that this activity is not possible. It would be too difficult to keep track of a hundred different groups and their topics, and listening through a hundred different presentations would be extremely time-consuming and not be manageable with teacher to student interactions.